Thursday, January 29, 2009

an ode to Drugstore brands

This is an informative entry to let you know that you don't have to spend oodles of money to get a good product. I've seen some people on YouTube use a brand called LA Colors before. It's a Dollar Store brand. Curious, I went to our local Dollar General and, lo and behold, they carried LA Colors. Being the M·A·C / Urban Decay / L'Oreal HiP addict that I am, I was a bit skeptical. Still, the palettes I found were only a $1 so I broke into the spare change collection in my car and bought the two palettes. Both palettes contain six metallic finish shadows. The lighter colors have less of a color pay off than the deeper colors. They're not as smooth applying as, say, Urban Decay shadows but what do you want for a dollar?? I recommend using a creamy base (I used M·A·C Shadestick in Beige-ing as the base for the swatches below as the colors didn't come out quite as vibrant with UDPP alone.) If you don't want to spend $16 on a M·A·C Shadestick, Sally Hansen makes a similar product for $4.99 (ColorStick) that you can find in Rite Aid.

So here are the palettes in all their frugal glory:





The first one is called 'Eye Candy' and has an off-white/vanilla, a bright pink, an aqua blue, a deep lavender, a melon, and what I'd call an 'ocean' blue.



The second one is called "Precious" and has a nude color, a yellow-gold, a bronze color, a copper, a brown, and what I would describe as a pinkish/reddish plum. (The pinkish/reddish plum actually reminds me a LOT of Urban Decay's Last Call!)



So there you have it. Pretty colors at a 'I-don't-wear-makeup-because-I-don't-like-to-spend-money-on-it' price!

0 comments: